Initially invited to design a contemporary addition and outdoor decking area to an existing stone cottage, the project was revised to comprise of a renovation and restoration of the original building footprint. This was in part due to cost restraints, practicality and the fact that the building had been in the family for many years.
The front sandstone dwelling was constructed during the mid -1860’s, with a skillion roof and living area connecting to the original gable-roofed kitchen. The site lies within the gold mining town of Fryerstown within a Heritage overlay.
Situated to the rear of the property is the original gold mining registrar building, comprising of local sandstone, corrugated iron cladding and a brick chimney. Unused, the objective was to partly restore and repair the building where possible, re-using recycled and original materials, to provide continued use.